It’s the dog days of summer and it’s hot out there, but the coffee doesn’t need to be! With cold press coffee you brew the coffee with cold water for a smooth, low acidic drink that’s outstanding.
I love the cold press! The coffee is smooth and very low acidity. I personally use the 51 ounce Bodum French Press. Amazon has them for $40.
Cold press is like a French press but using cold water and extended time to steep versus hot water. This press is big and includes a spare lid that’s perfect for the refrigerator and a scoop. The directions for using the cold press are easy:
1. Put in 12 tablespoons of course ground coffee
2. Add cold filtered water (the BRITA picture works well), stir grounds with water for about 30 seconds to saturate the coffee. For this step only fill the beaker about half way.
3. Fill remaining with filtered water leaving 1/2 inch at the top
4. Cover with flat lid and let steep in the refrigerator for 24 hours
5. Replace lid with press and slowly plunge
6. Mix coffee concentrate (up to 50%) with water, ice or milk
7. The coffee concentrate will last a couple weeks
Since it has not been heated you can add some water and heat it without it getting that reheated tasted. Cold press would also be great over ice or used in a tasty cocktail treat. For this Pirate nothing beats a coffee cooler.
Pete’s Caribbean Coffee Cooler
4 oz Pete’s Redeye Roast Cold Press
1.5 oz dark rum
1 oz honey syrup**
3 dashes orange bitters
Combine all ingredients except for the coconut milk in a mixing glass with ice. Stir and strain into a hi-ball glass over crushed ice. Top with coconut milk. Garnish with an orange slice.
**for the honey syrup, combine 2 cups of honey and one cup of water in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Take off heat and let cool, then transfer to a clean jar or bottle. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Pete’s Caribbean Coffee Cooler by Matt Sorrell of Cocktails Are Go!